Secretariat Recruitment: BDMUNC 2019
The Best Delegate Model United Nations Conference (BDMUNC 2019) will be held from March 14-17, 2019 at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda in the Washington DC area. Staff will be expected to arrive midday on March 13th and leave in the evening of March 17th.
BDMUNC aims to provide a world-class learning experience for both delegates and advisors. After BDMUNC, we want students to feel confident to engage in the world around them.
The Secretariat is responsible for managing all the staff of the conference, organizing all logistical, substantive, and communications aspects of the conference, and ensuring that all participants have the best conference experience possible.
Applications for Secretariat positions are due Wednesday, January 23rd 23:59 EST.
REQUIREMENTS & ELIGIBILITY
Must be currently enrolled or have recently graduated from university.
Prior experience staffing Model UN conferences is required.
Must be committed to producing all pre-conference and on-site deliverables in a timely manner.
Ideal candidates should display professionalism in their work, be very responsive to email throughout the entire conference preparation process, be open to constructive feedback, and have strong communication skills and problem-solving skills.
Must arrive in Washington D.C. on March 13, 2019, and depart on March 17th, 2019.
Must be available to work from March 14-17 for training sessions and the conference itself.
Opportunity to work with Best Delegate and a world-class Secretariat on a high-profile event held in the Washington D.C. area.
Collaborate with organizations that are working on solving the issues discussed at BDMUNC.
The chance to talk to students about your own local conferences and to represent your school and town.
Four nights of shared accommodations at the Hyatt Regency, Bethesda March 13-17, 2019.
A travel stipend – chairs will receive a stipend of USD 250, Directors will receive a stipend of 150, and all other Secretariat positions will receive a stipend of USD 100. The stipend is awarded after completion of the conference. Secretariat members must book their travels at their own expense upfront, then will be awarded the travel stipend at the end of the conference.
Please apply here by Wednesday, January 23rd 23:59 EST.
Please review the position descriptions below carefully before applying. Highly qualified candidates will be selected for an interview. Questions about the positions can be directed to Angela Min Yi Hou, BDMUNC Secretary-General, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Committee Chairs facilitate the rules of procedure and moderate debate during committee session. Strong chairing experience and fluency in spoken and written English are required for this position. Specific responsibilities include:
Facilitating rules of procedure accurately and fairly: coordinate and keep track of the speakers list, draft resolutions, amendments, voting records during committee sessions
Providing constructive procedural and learning-oriented guidance during committee sessions, and creating a psychologically safe environment for all delegates to participate
Serving as the committee’s lead on conference logistics
Striving to bring out the best in all conference participants: aware of and prepared to execute BDMUNC’s learning objectives and well-versed in committee content and topic expertise
Committee Directors serve as the substantive and procedural expert in the room, and provides support to the Chair of the committee. Directors will also be responsible for delegate judging, scoring, and providing feedback to delegates in their respective committee, and assisting with delegate training prior to the conference. Previous experience serving in a similar directing capacity is required for this position. Specific responsibilities include:
• Supporting the committee chair to effectively facilitate committee proceedings
• Assisting with pre-conference and on-site delegate training and other substantive content tasks to ensure the overall quality of the committee experience for participants
• Evaluating, scoring, and providing constructive feedback for delegate performance in a variety of skill areas eg. Position papers, public speaking, negotiation, resolution-writing
• Striving to bring out the best in all conference participants: aware of and prepared to execute BDMUNC’s learning objectives and well-versed in committee content and topic expertise
Logistics Officers work behind the scenes to ensure that all logistics flow smoothly during the conference. Previous conference staffing experience or experience in other logistical or customer service roles is preferred for this position. Specific responsibilities include:
• Assisting the Under-Secretary-General for Logistics to work effectively and flexibly in a detail-oriented logistics team, support different capabilities across the conference and respond collaboratively to any logistical issues
• Well-versed in understanding and executing the logistics plan, serving as the “go-to” person for any questions or issues about schedules, A/V equipment, and other logistical matters at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda and delegate social venues
• Managing the preparation of any delegate materials that may need to be printed or prepared eg. intermediate to high familiarity with Excel and PowerPoint, and knowledge of mail merge is an asset
• Transporting, setting up, and breaking down A/V equipment such as microphones, laptops, projectors, projector screens, printers, and copiers
• Ensuring general customer service and safety for all participants including assisting with check-in, the customer service table, and with any medical emergencies
Press Officers work behind the scenes to produce multimedia leading up to and during the conference. Technical experience with photography, videography, video editing, layout editing, social media marketing, or other media-related skills is required for this position. Specific responsibilities include:
• Preparing content updates to the website, blog posts, social media posts, and any BDMUNC marketing campaigns to recruit delegates
• Assisting the Under-Secretary-General for Marketing with any pre-conference communications with conference participants in a timely manner; communicating and understanding the vision and learning outcomes central to the conference
• Taking professional-quality photos and videos during the conference and using such media to produce a Closing Ceremonies video, social media etc.
• Ensuring general customer service and coordinating with the logistics team on-site